Saturday, January 8, 2011

Too skinny?

 The other day I took Ollie to the doctor for his nine month check up. He is healthy and growing just as he should be. Almost. He seems to be meeting all of his milestones ahead of schedule. He is constantly on the go and wants to do everything he sees his sister do. But...he is a little on the skinny side. Now, I have never considered him to be "skinny." I actually thought he was rather large for his age. I was quite surprised when I found this out at the doctor's office the other day. He was big when he was born (8lbs 9oz), so I didn't think this would ever become a concern with him. If you didn't know, this was a constant struggle with Madelyn. The doctor was VERY concerned about her weight when she was younger. She was in the 95th percentile for height and the 5th percentile for weight. We tried everything to get her to eat more, but she only wanted fruits and veggies. This doesn't sound like a problem, I know, but it isn't easy for someone to gain weight when eating only fruits and veggies since they are low in calories. She is still skinny- although she does eat a larger variety of foods now- and tall. Now, back to Ollie. I just didn't think this would be a concern. But, here we go, again! The doctor didn't seem to be too concerned, luckily. Ollie is in the 8th percentile for weight. This means that 92% of babies are larger than him. I try to remind myself that the general public isn't all that healthy, so maybe comparing him to others isn't really a great idea to begin with. I also know that the chart his doctor uses is not for breastfed babies, but for formula fed babies. This also makes a difference. But, in the end, I know that he is skinny! And although I try to not let it bother me, it does. He doesn't eat anything very well. He is picky 99% of the time. He would eat bananas all day long if I let him, but I know this isn't really a possibility. I know that eventually he will eat better (I hope). And I know that he is very active. But, I just wish for once that I wasn't thinking about how little my children are...when Ollie is (or isn't) eating, I don't want to have to worry about his weight. Luckily, he hasn't lost any weight and continues to gain weight...just not as much as most babies his age. Maybe I should be glad that they aren't too big, since obesity is such a large problem in our society.


I said he was active! Standing up to eat his dinner...the only way he would consider it!


Enjoying his dinner. He may be little, but he sure is cute!

Dinner is over. Time to burn some more calories!


No comments:

Post a Comment